Monday, 2 April 2012

My face is but a mask!

Now people will disagree to be well just to be.....but I think this statement is probably true. There is a certain type of woman a man is brought up to say they like but 9 out of 10 seem to say that in reality they wouldn't want that type of woman. Once upon a time a friend said to me I should dumb myself down to attract men.....I was left a bit shocked. My response was not so polite. No way would I dumb it down - if you don't like me sorry but go away - I am a good person, I am kind, I am thoughtful, I have a brain, I have an opinion and I am not afraid to use either thank you very much. I was in the lunch room at work and we were talking about a show that is coming to Channel 4 called the Undateables. It's about people with things about them deemed to not be acceptable I guess - by whose standards I am not sure but the premise seems to be people with certain facial deformaties, someone in a wheelchair and someone with tourettes. Now I said it's a shame a real shame that it does matter what people look like. Initially that is of course what attracts you. But you can do nothing about genes you were given - that's just the way it is - you can make the most of what you look like or have surgery but generally you can't really do anything about whether your face has been alined in a way that 'we' are told to find attractive. Now these people could be totally ace but society generally is going to write them off. It might be the way things are or how we are conditioned but it doesn't take away the fact that it's a shame. One person said we all just look for someone that will give us perfect children. Maybe I am weird but that's never crossed my mind once. First and foremost it's whether we get on and they treat me right. That's more important - and would make a better parent too I think. But then I've always been totally ok with adoption too. Someone else said that it just boils down to the fact that you are not going to spend time with someone that makes you feel physically sick to look at. To me that was super harsh. If someone was born with a bit of a facial defect it's never made me feel physically sick. Am I alone on this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment