Friday, 23 March 2012

I heart Lindsey Kelk

Some of you will know her from her brilliant column in Marie Claire, and many of you will know her from her amazing series of books about Angela in I heart Hollywood, I heart New York, I heart Vegas and I heart Paris, with I heart London to be released in a few months time. Lindsey is also the author of The Single Girls To Do List and of ebook Jennifer Lopez has a bad week.

What inspired you to write?
I've always written, ever since I was little but the main thing that made me start writing I Heart New York was boredom!

Is it something you have always wanted to do?
Yep. I've been telling and writing stories for as long as I can remember but I never thought I'd be so lucky as to do it for a job. It's amazing.

I seem to recall you not planning on being a 'chick lit' writer, what sort of writing had you hoped to do?
There was never a plan, it just wasn't a genre I was terribly well read in. I worked in children's publishing and I read a lot of literary fiction so I was as surprised as anyone when I Heart New York appeared.

You've ended up doing a series of books about Angela, does she now feel like a friend?
She does. It was so hard writing I Heart London because I knew I wouldn't be writing her again for a while. Hopefully I've done her justice.

Is it hard to break out of that storyline to write something else?
So hard! When I started writing The Single Girl's To-Do List, it was SO hard in the beginning but once I got into the rhythm of it, I found it just as tricky to get back into the I Hearts... it's complicated!

Briefly describe your writing process.
Oh lord, it's never the same but it mostly involves me not sleeping for several weeks and eating a LOT of sweets and drinking too much Diet Pepsi.

How did you find the right agent for you?
We met through a friend. It's always great to get a recommendation if you can because it's such a personal relationship.

What are your thoughts on ebooks?
I think they're great. I'll always love paper books but I can't imagine being without my Kindle these days.

You have recently published a short novel for the kindle, is this a dipping the toe in the water type thing with e publishing or just a one off?
It was more of a treat for the fans in between I Heart books. I write a lot and I write fast so I was keen to do something for everyone who was missing Angela and Jenny.

The future of publishing houses seems to be changing quite dramatically at the moment, what are your thoughts on this?
It is changing so fast. I've only been out of it (as an editor) for a year and it's already moved on so much. I think it's just a difficult time and having a good agent and a supportive editor is all you can hope for at the moment. Change isn't always a bad thing, it's just a case of riding it out until it settles down.

I've only just started writing and find I can only write for myself, do you find the same or do you write in a more calculated fashion? I ask because I was told to always find out what sells and write towards that but it doesn't feel natural to me.
I only ever write for myself. When I worry too much what other people are thinking about, it just doesn't work and everyone can tell. Stick to what feels right to you!

A friend recently read my first attempt at a book and I was amazed at how hard it was to put my written word out there - how did you feel to see your words in print for the first time?
It was crazy. Because I'd worked as an editor, all through the publishing process, it felt a bit like work. Still amazing but just a special project rather than my book. The first time I saw it in a shop, it was mental. I freaked out, my friend took photos... it was all very exciting. In Sainsbury's in Wandsworth...

Any advice for wannabe authors like myself?
Just keep going! It's not easy and if it's not something you desperately want, it can get depressing so yeah, it's all about passion and desire and persistence.

Going back to the wonderful series of Angela Clark, are the stories totally made up or are they based on true events?
The storylines are completely fictional but there are always a few bits and pieces from real like that make it in - places, a few people, the odd anecdote. But always painted over with Angela's life.

Do you find yourself living vicariously through Angela?
Definitely! I want her life!

Do you know how many more books will be in the 'I heart....' series?
I Heart London is the end of the road for now but I think she'll be back one day...

You can find more information about Lindsey here:
http://www.blogger.com/%3Ca%20href='http://www.lindseykelk.com
http://www.iheartlindseykelk.com/

If you have not yet read her books then get yourself over to Lindsey's website and buy them...all!!

3 comments:

  1. Ive also just discovered her and loved her books.. well, apart from jodi picoult as well. just like u i always feel like i am destined to be a writer but i find writing books a harder process.. since its all long and drawn out.. but blogs are much easier to sustain my interest in.. maybe there is a way to join these two together?? :) hope u have a fab weekend ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just notice that my full stops and exclamation marks are missing.. when it should have been there.. the perils of being excited to share comments lol..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to think you typed it as though you said it quickly in one exciteable breath ;op
    I have managed to write a book and working on my second - it's not as quick a process as I would like as I am quite busy but I make sure I keep the writing up - you can find a way for sure. Or just blog - that can be as satisfying - it's not about making it famous or rich for me, I just feel I need to write. Once I've got 3 books together I'll then decide what avenue to take. Glad you liked the interview - Lindsey's books are great aren't they!! Have a great weekend too.xx

    ReplyDelete