Monday, 24 January 2011

"The truly rich are those who enjoy what they have."

It's true isn't it - almost as cliched as if you smile the world seems better and then it is better.

But they are both so true. We spend so much of our lives moaning about what we haven't got that we miss all the lovely things that we do have.

One of the great beauties of life is that we are all different, that there is so much variety, but we all try to conform to the same clone at some point in our life. That we aren't married, with 2.4 children, a house and a car and blah blah blah then somehow we have failed.



Wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same.

Money is useful - essential, sadly, but no matter how much we have (or don't have) we seem to live within our means.

I long for more money so I don't have to be skint two weeks after pay day - but to have more money I would have to trade off some of my own time and no doubt I would still just live within my means again.

I do my best in my job but I don't live to work - I need things beside my job.

I count friends and think I am failing somewhere as I don't have as many 'friends' as such and such. I need to learn to shut up on that one as it makes me sound so ungrateful for the wonderful friends I do have.

I tell myself off sometimes for not living the party life I used to but hey I think they just call it growing up and evolving.

Today I am going to try to learn to work with what I have - rather than forever judging myself....and that way I will become truely rich!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! I couldn't begin to tell you how much I love this post! It's so crazy because my boyfriend and I were just discussing how we were glad to have grown out of that partying phase. lol And last week I had the same lecture from a nurse that I have each time I go to the Dr. She tells me that I should be married and all this and she as well as SO many of the women my age look down on me for putting my schooling & my family before having children and marrying. I'm unable to have children anyways, but most people automatically tend to think less of a woman who chooses to be different and actually be herself & not everybody else. I would hate to base my self value on whether or not I'm married by a certain age or how much money I have.

    Anyways, such a great, beautiful, wonderful post you have here! I love to know that there are other out there who believe that it's not all about partying or doing what every body else does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and by the way, how cool that you have a foster elephant and do so much to support animals! That is so precious! I'm a huge animal lover too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah thank you so much!
    I think it's a right of passage to go out and go a bit mad for a while but I just needed more substance in my life! I don't want to be that old git still trying to hold on to my youth - I want to roll with what life throws at me and turn it into a game.
    Having kids is not the bee all and end all and just because someone can have kids doesn't mean they should!
    Life is not incomplete without children - there are just other riches in it.
    Horses for courses I think the saying is!?!
    Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete