Friday, 31 December 2010

Understanding Our Yesterdays

I love Christmas. I am glad I do as it must be such a nightmare time of year for people that don’t. All the people everywhere getting in your way – everything going up in price, things shutting down for the holidays………to me it’s a time to get away from the hustle and bustle of your daily life and spend long lazy days with my family.

D’s birthday is on Christmas Eve, so we all went out for a meal to his favourite restaurant in my parents next of the woods and a visit to two of my favourite people on this earth – they are related loosely but I pretend they are my grandparents. Christmas day was spent with lots of food and gifts and a lovely walk through the countryside. Boxing Day my one brother left to have his second Christmas with his girlfriend and my other brother came to see us with his girlfriend and his two children. That makes Christmas for me – seeing all the people I really love and having two young nephews puts all the excitement back into Christmas.

It’s easy to loose all this as the year ticks on and the daily issues over shadow all the wonderful things we have in life.

We sometimes reflect upon this when it’s a birthday or an anniversary or sorts. We don’t really bother for much of the year – we just moan and do little to put things right.

I don’t make New Years resolutions as I think life is for living as best you can all year round and we don’t need to impose any more restrictions on ourselves. Live your life well and then you won’t need any certain day to change things, or to tell someone you love them – they are just hallmark holidays and not the really important things in life.

I do say goodbye to 2010 with a mix of emotions and I will certainly be opening my arms to greet 2011. I hope that it’s a great year for all of us.

Happy New Year!



"I figure it's like in the Bible, the Adam and Eve deal?" the Captain said. "Adams first night on earth? When he lays down to sleep? He thinks it's all over, right? He doesn't know what sleep is.  His eyes are closing and he thinks he's leaving this world, right? Only he isn't. He wakes up the next morning and he has a fresh new world to work with, but he has something else, too. He has his yesterday." The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom

No comments:

Post a Comment