Saturday, 16 October 2010

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Ablom

Now I may have missed something, once in a while this does happen.  But I don't remember this book being so HUGE in the UK as it is in the USA?  I've not really met many people that are UK born and bred that have read this book.  And what a pity. 

I feel quite blessed just lately to have found such lovely books to read.  I have a habit of going into a book store and just staring at the shelves and one or two books will really jump out at me.  This can be very hit and miss but thankfully I've had more hits than misses.  Those that are misses are donated to the charity store or left on the tube for someone else to read, thus giving me a good dead of the day as well.

Now Tuesday's with Morrie is an amazing and moving book.

So many people are really scared of dying.  But it's the only sure thing in life that is going to happen to you.  Ok so now you are thinking this book is going to be depressing.  Wrong.  It's incredibly uplifting, moving, educational.  In one way it's a very simple read.  It's about an old man who is dying and an ex student who visits him on a Tuesday.

On the other hand this book is a very complex read as it will challenge some of the ways you think or have been brought up to think.

I don't fear dying, I fear those around me dying far more.

This book may not change that fear in people but it shows you how you can be graceful and appreciative right up until the end.  That you don't have to feel bitter or hard done by.  How you can see everything as a gift, a chance to learn and a chance to teach.

It's no secret that I've been feeling a bit, well, a bit put out by what life has to offer.  It's a beautiful world but somewhere something about a lot of aspects of human nature has gotten really ugly.



I know of people who bully because they can't deal with their own insecurities.  I know people that are bitter and twisted and hateful purely down to jealousy.  I know people doing such awful things because they think the devil looks after his own so forget it they are going to do whatever they want and you can like it or lump it.

Needless to say I don't spend much or any time with such people.  I've made some choices to distance myself from some people because the paths we were walking together were not healthy.  It made for a lonely time but it's led to a much richer time.

And this book can sum all that up in a far more eloquent way than I have just done.

You'll learn about the lovely side of human nature, the unfairness of life but how you can keep smiling and keep feeling like a lucky, rich and fulfilled person.

I made so many little markers in this book for great quotes and sayings that Morrie came out with.

It's one of the books that is not being passed on, it is going back on my bookcase to be re-read again and again.  I'll tell people about this book and buy it for them as a gift.  As that is what it is - a lovely gift, a glimpse into one man's life through the eyes of another.

No comments:

Post a Comment