Saturday, 9 October 2010

My, my I think she's cracked it!

Emotional Geology the first book that Linda Gillard wrote has found it's way to my house and into my hands for me to read.  I've only just started this book, and quite like the other one I've read (see my review of Stargazer here) it's grabbed me with it's beautiful use of the English language already.


"I wanted to die!"
"You no longer wanted to live"
"Is there a difference?"
"Oh, yes, a great deal of difference....We can do very little for those who want to die."

And this is just the beginning.  I will be back to review this book properly, I just thought I'd give you a little teaser/taster.

Linda Gillard lives in Scotland, having pretty much packed up her previous life to go and live there and write.  My last trip to Scotland I said the very same thing.  The scenery is so out of this world amazing that I felt more inspired than I ever had been, I think I even made the comment about how come everyone in Scotland isn't a writer, painter or photographer.




4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your review. Loved your comment, "How come everyone in Scotland isn't a writer, painter or photographer?" I wonder if there's a higher concentration of them in Scotland?

    I lived surrounded by beauty for some years in homes on Skye, Harris and in Inverness. I'd always wondered if eventually you became immune to natural beauty, no longer registering it. I didn't, and the local people I knew hadn't. I think what happens is you just become less tolerant of urban ugliness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would actually be really interesting to know if there is a higher statistic of creatives in the outbacks of Scotland ;op There should be. If it didn't rain so much up there I think I would be very tempted to leave London behind and head for the hills (or mountains). I think you have hit the nail on the head about becoming less tolerant of urban ugliness, that did make me laugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I hope you love it. I'm reading Star Gazing right now and so far so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll love it - let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete