Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Emotional Geology

By Linda Gillard.

How to write a review of this book without giving away the whole plot? I want to tease you with enough of it to make you go out and read it for yourselves, but without giving too much away.

I was too ill to go to work yesterday so between sleeping I read almost the entire book. Which should say something in itself.

Sometimes I felt like I was almost reading the authors diary. In a way I hope I wasn’t as I wouldn’t want to think that she had a ‘Gavin’ in her life. Safe to say I didn’t like this guy too much.

Callum, well I felt a little heartbreak when he was explaining what had happened to Chris. Now this is a fictional character but with such realistic dimensions I felt a little heart break!!

The scenery again is amazing and makes me long for the short bursts of time I spend in Scotland. If it wasn’t so cold and rainy I’d be there in a shot.


There were times when I almost felt like I was reading a manual on how to write. Not in a patronising way but I learnt a little as I ploughed through the pages.

I am studying a writing course but seem to not be following the instructions being given to me. When I am writing I don’t find I need to know the ending of the story, just the start. Then I almost let the story tell itself with me being the medium to allow the story to be told. In the book, I almost read the same thing.

I suppose this book is a woman’s book, I am not sure how much men would get out of it, or admit to getting out of it. Maybe it would be like the woman’s magazines, men call them piffle then sneak a peak when you are not looking.

The characters dance out at you from the pages of the book and you feel for them, all sorts of emotions, some good and some bad, and that’s life. It’s another book that grips into you and when you finish the book, when you get to those longed for last pages, the hunger to know the full story makes you not want to put the book down. Then you get there, you know it’s the end but you turn the page all the same hoping there will be more.

When I close a book and am silent for a while I know it’s been good.

I hope I have given you enough to want to go out and read it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment