Wednesday, 14 October 2009

UP!

So at the weekend I took my parents and D with me to go and see Up. I know that I am consistently going to see these children's programmes without a physical child in toe, just my inner child skipping along besides me. But Up was definitely different. I normally see Pixar as being quite a smart movie maker, they know plenty of adults will be seeing the movie so put in some adult humor and there is always a lovely moralistic side to their films. Up on the other hand seemed to be more an adult movie with some child humor put in, ie the talking dogs!!!



Anyway - the start of the movie is all about Ellie and Carl, Carl being the main character of the film. It goes through their childhood and how they fall in love and get married. And yes spoiler alert, it goes to a clip where they are being told they can't have children - honestly you start blinking very hard at this point, refusing to cry at a cartoon. They have the most amazing relationship you could ever ever hope for but sadly Ellie dies. If you coped before you will be doing everything in your power to not cry at this point, I kid you not, I have heard of some pretty hardened people almost sobbing at this point (see I am also not the only adult to go to these movies because they want to!)

Carl lives his life honoring his wife's memory. A construction site is erected around his home but he refuses to sell as the house had been his and Ellie's dream. One day an unfortunate accident occurs and Carl ends up having to leave to go to a nursing home as he has been deemed a menace. He packs a few belongings and looks through Ellie's book, she started a diary of sorts as a child and left some pages blank for all the adventures yet to come. Her biggest biggest dream to go to a specific place in South America. Carl pulls a swift one on the care home guys and unleashes thousands of balloons tied to his house that pull his house out of its foundations and up, up and away he goes.


A few seconds into his flight, just as Carl is settling back to enjoy the ride there is a knock at the door, cue Russel the annoying/loveable boy scout who is now along for the ride, like it or not.
They end up in South America - but they are chased by some talking dogs. Many adults found this bit ridiculous, I found it funny, but I am starting to realise that I might not be like many adults. Carl is determined to get to the specific place that Ellie wanted to go and to park his house there. He gets to reach his dream and learns some pretty good lessons along the way, as does Russel and as do the talking dogs. I won't spoil the whole thing for you as you really should go and see it.

One thing I can say is that I have never envied a cartoon character so much - honestly if I can have one thing in this world, it would be the love that Ellie and Carl shared.


6 comments:

  1. I saw the movie and fell in love! It was just the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it just - the romance in it was beautiful and the whole thing looks fantastic - as I say I converted my Dad to the wonders of pixar ☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant wait to see that movie. Ive wanted to for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will not be disappointed - it's AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This became my favorite pixar film after I saw it. I love it and Dug :}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I see a new Pixar film these days it becomes my favorite - but I think this one is going to take some beating!!

    ReplyDelete