Wednesday, 28 October 2009

It's like the best thing since sliced bread it is.



I love Tim Burton.

Not in the way I love D I would hasten to add, and I love Tim for his mind thank you.

How can you not!?!

He’s been in the business for what seems like forever and the only thing I can find to fault in his career is his lack of setting the record straight about his involvement in Coraline. It mislead a lot of his fans into going to see the movie – but lets be fair, it was a damn fine movie so I don’t think anyone can really grumble if they were lured there under false pretences.


He hates comic books. Or so it would appear. Which almost surprises me as some of his work would and has made some great comic book sketches, whether authorised or not. So yes, that does mean he hates Kevin Smith, I have to say I like a lot of his movies, not so keen on his attitude in life it would seem but……….




Tim started working at Disney and very quickly proved to be what I like to refer to as genius (you can argue with me on that one if you want but I might get stubborn). He worked on some classic cartoons and Disney could see his talent and allowed him to work on some of his own projects whilst he was with them. Some have seen this as an incredibly lucky break, but you could also say that without his most blatantly obvious talent he would never have been given that opportunity in the first place.


He put his former fiancé, Lisa Marie in most films that he did and has gone on to do the same with Helen Bonham Carter, the mother of his two children (can you imagine the bed time stories these children get!?!?!). Tim was somewhat of a recluse as a child and he would shut himself away drawing and painting, he has been noted as saying that he had two lovely windows in his bedroom as a child but for some reason his parents bricked them in and left a small slit of a window instead. I don’t know the foundations for this story but it might explain why he developed the imagination for imagery that he does.

He has directed and produced on so many films, I have to say I love his animation work the best. The only film he’s ever done that I didn’t like was Sweeney Todd, but even in that I have to say visually it was stunning (and no that is not a cheap comment towards Johnny Depp).

Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride are three of my favourite films of all time. I am looking forward to his version of Alice in Wonderland (not just because we did some work on it at work) but 9 is one I am looking forward to more than anything.


With a back catalogue as impressive as Tim’s – how can you not be blown away.

(for full details of that check out http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000318/)


No comments:

Post a Comment